Sunday, April 13, 2008

Thunder!


...du du du, daaaaa, da, da, DA...THUNDER! (FYI, it is really hard to sing via the blog)




Yesterday we celebrated my first Saturday off in 3 months by going to Thunder over Louisville.  "Thunder" is the kick-off event for the Derby (aka "Kentucky Derby"--if you are an out-of-towner) which is in three weeks.  It entails an afternoon air show followed by "the Country's best" firework show.   Picture a half a million of Southern Indiana and Kentucky's finest (don't be afraid to use stereotypes) all smashed together on the banks of the Ohio river for five hours in 45 degree weather (36 if you factor in the wind chill); however, the fireworks were really good.

Back to "The Derby."  So Kyle and I have casually discussed going to the Kentucky Derby (we are out-of-towners, as is evident by the following story), so we thought, you know, we are in Louisville, we should just drive ourselves over to Churchill Downs and see what kind of tickets we could scrounge up.   The girl behind the desk just looked at us like we were idiots as she asked "for this year???" So I guess "The Derby" is one of the hardest sporting events to get tickets to. Who knew a little horse race could be so popular?

All in all, it was a good day.  Just another Indiana adventure.

4 comments:

Leslie said...

that looked like so much fun. You must call us next time...oh wait, you're moving...great, just great :) We'll have to find other fun events to go to before you leave!

Kristy Carpenter said...

Hooray for not working on Saturdays!! I'm so glad busy season is over with and I can start enjoying life again - as I am sure you are too!!

Anonymous said...

YEA! I bet you are as excited as we are that tax season is over! This past saturday was still pretty busy for chad, but on Tuesday the fun began!!

The Anderson's said...

Emily,
Hey you may not remember me but I remember you.... My grandma is Laurell Adams and we met when we were little you lived down the road from her, while you were building your new home. But now we are old and married and on with our lifes.... it's so fun to see your cute blog! Take care-
Nicole ( Bailey ) Anderson