Saturday, June 28, 2008

Be Still (My 'Be' Progression Part II)

I am not sure if this is one of President Hinckley's Be's (just checked...it isn't), but I am going to focus on it anyways, so bear with me.  

The last two days I have been thinking about something pretty much constantly.  It is hard to summarize on paper, but in a nutshell it is: at what point in my life will I be satisfied with the now?  In review of my past year, (this has actually been a challenge for me extending well beyond this past year...) I don't think that I have ever taken a moment to just sit back, relax, and enjoy the now.  By "now" I mean the exact minute, hour, day, etc.  It seems that I have been waking up each morning with the hopes that the day will just go by quickly (whether it be work, studying, my primary class, my commute to work, etc.)  When I look back, it seems that I never really even paid much attention to what was going on in this year.  My entire focus has been..."next year, when Kyle is in dental school" or "when we start a family" or "when I am done with my tests,"  etc., I think you get the point.  

So for the next little while, I am going to focus on being still and just enjoying life as it happens.  I going to try to not stress [myself out] that I have a test in less than a month that I am more than under-prepared for or that we are moving in a little over a month and we have no idea where we will live or where I will work or how we are going to move our stuff there or how we will pay for school.  Don't get me wrong, I am not going to ignore these things, I am just going to try to enjoy the process of accomplishing them.  

I would love to hear all of your thoughts on how you maintain focus on the present without constantly stressing about the future. 

11 comments:

Holly said...

I completely relate to what you are thinking. I too am working on it, but have no solution as of yet. I'll let you know if I have a breakthrough!

Marissa said...

I actually have the same problem. I was just telling my husband that I either reflect on the past or worry about the future...I am never just here in the now. I am trying to be better too..Unfortunaltely, I have no tips as I have the same problem...

Marsie Pants said...

All I have to say is, good luck with that. I think everyone struggles with the same problems.

Good to hear from you! I'm totally adding you to my blog list. This is how I keep in touch with people. So, any chance you'll be in Oakley for the 24th? I actually will be. Pretty random. But if you are, we should totally do something...like sit at the same table at the breakfast or something. Or even meet at the cook shack at the rodeo. Good luck with everything right now! Sounds like you have your hands full.

forget laundry said...

what a good reminder... I am having one of those days where I just can't wait for brandon to get home- when really I should be enjoying my cute (screaming, crazy) kids. The stage you are in is one I never had with Brandon, we always had a little somebody around (which was great too)- but how fun to be newlyweds. love your blog- and keeping in touch. thanks for all your sweet comments.

Christine said...

I've been there. All I can suggest is to take 5-10 minutes a day (more if you can) and sit outside and just enjoy...or if the weather is bad, stay inside, cuddle with the hubby and just enjoy the time you have together. don't think about anything during the time out. just enjoy the now...

Kacey Nielsen said...

Hi! I can't believe you know Jon, that is too funny to me! Small world... Congrats on your own marriage!

Keith said...

Emily, we've been in this rut before. You are coming up on over a month without a post!

Christine said...

I always struggled with this until I had Claire. Once she was born, I have enjoyed every second!

As for the lenses. Instead of buying a Macro lens (which runs about $200 plus) I am going to try close-up lenses. They are pretty much just like a filter that magnifies and screws on top of your original lens.

For my telephoto lens, I am getting a combo pack that is an off brand-it is called TAMRON (make sure to buy the one that works with your camera). The best site that I have found is www.porters.com. The reviews were all pretty positive (I got two macro lenses inluding one that goes to 300mm for $206) That same lens that is a cannon brand is $600! I am pretty stocked.

Also, I have taken several tutorials on my camera. What kind do you have? They have really helped. Now I am just trying to get the techniques down.

The Bedke Fam said...

thank you so much for all those great ideas! i appreciate it so much. we're for sure gonna hit up john's pizzeria, the magnolia bakery, and juniors. we'll probably check out that place for cheap broadway tickets too. thanks so much! hope all is well with you guys! love ya!

forget laundry said...

hey! so, your email address isn't coming up on my gmail... I'll keep looking, but I should definitely have that. about the camera- yes! I have an SLR... it's a nikon D40. It's a great camera. I am actually thinking about upgrading and getting some lenses (so if you know anyone who is interested... I am going to post the d40 on my blog as soon as I have enough saved to buy the next). anyway- no special lens but I definitely have some recommendations of what to choose if you are looking into it. let me know. hope you are great! hey when are we going to meet up? that would be so fun. love you -hill

forget laundry said...

I just read your friend's post on lenses. I think Tamron lenses are a great option. I have heard they slightly distort the more they are zoomed- but so slight the price difference may be worth it (I have definitely thought about going this route). Also- if you are really looking into this b&H photo is the best resource (you can find them online) so- probably too much information. but let me know if you have more questions.