Friday, February 29, 2008

Where's the Beef?

Dear Blog Audience,

For those of you who don't know me, (I am sure that there are a few of you, judging by my counter that I put up last week) I grew up on a cattle ranch. For as long as I can remember, I have gone out and helped my dad...(not as much as you might think, but more than my siblings would let you believe.) Here is some evidence:

I know, I know...I am very cute and bandanas do wonders for my looks :)
So why am I telling you this? Well one of the perks of being a cattle rancher's daughter is that of free beef. Let me put this in another way...I have never purchased an ounce of beef in my life. The point of my story is to not brag about the oodles of money that I have saved along the way, but to lament that I have no idea how to buy it. I don't know what kind to buy or what color it should be or what a good price is. This February has been a sad one, we ate our LAST roast that made the journey across the country with us. I had honestly been dreading this day, it is the end of an era. I can't possibly imagine months of roast-less Sundays. Eventually I am going to have to break down, suck it up, and shell out the money. I am not quite ready to make the leap yet, but when I do, I have no doubts that my dad will be on the phone guiding me through the life-changing process.
I know, my life is very rough...
Signed
Homegrown Beef-less in Indiana

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh my goodness I totally agree! I remember when I had to go buy hamburger for the first time! It looked disgusting! My roommate thought I was nuts,I told her it couldn't be hamburger it looked to weird. But sure enough it was, it didn't taste as good, but it was still hamburger....

Gabbarts said...

wow, you must have packed a lot of beef to last you until now! maybe you can just stock up on your next visit home...miss you guys!

Holly said...

Talk to Danielle, Heather, or I. We went in on a half a beef last fall from a local "cow raiser" who raises the meat all natural and all that good stuff. It is so good.

blog_meg said...

OK, let me know what you learn. That could be your "Tip of the Day" on your blog. All about beef. YUM!

Unknown said...

Sorry to tell you Emily, but there's no substitute for Bedke beef. We need someone to make a trip to Indiana, don't you think?